Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve." - Jane Austen

My beloved sister has returned from her LDS mission in Taiwan. I am overjoyed at the prospect of her visiting me in Dallas next week. As a good sister ought, I wrote to her faithfully and so we should need very little time re-acquainting ourselves. As an homage to her visit and a recap of hilarious tidbits, I plan to include a list of the best sentences she penned during her time in Asia.

Quotes from Holly's letters to her sister Heiderhead -

"Shih asked me to be her boyfriend today because things just aren't working out with the District Leader; I wonder why."

"This is my conclusion, or perhaps thesis: it is because of the pure love of Christ that we have faith, diligence, passion (that is a Holly-Christlike Attribute, not in preach my gospel), courage, obedience, etc."

[In response to her companion's reaction to the arrival of a very long letter from a rougish boy friend]"Anyway, I'm sure it gives him great delight to cause drama 7000 miles away."

"President Hsu for some reason unknown to me has Church-approved kareoke cds. How cool is that? I want that to be my next calling in the church."

"My companion is teaching me Mo li hua, a famous Chinese folk song. I have great urges to dance to it."

"How is Eve doing on her dieting? She never writes me back. Does she still have mold growing in her sinuses. Sometimes I think I have a brain tumor."

"Every girl needs an older brother to buy saucy shoes for them. It is so much better than a boyfriend because you won't break up and then have this memory of them haunting your shoes."

"For everything there is a season and a time under the heaven... and a time to dance..." Sometimes there is time to not be amazing. That is most of the time, so that when we are amazing we can realize it."

9 comments:

Deven and Eva said...

My, that first quote raises eyebrows, How did you get holly to tell you dirt on the mission? Oh well.

The Perkins Fam said...

Did you know I LOVE your family? Tell Holly WELCOME HOME!!! Tell all your family HI. Whenever I read your blog it makes me reminisce about our many childhood adventures. As I read about Holly I remembered her screaming from your house that could be heard a block away because your mom wouldn't let her go to the park with us. Do you remember that?

The Letterman's said...

Heidi,
Dang is everyone just born awesome in your fam? Miss ya, can't believe Holly is already done! My mission didn't fly by that fast, did it?
Love ya
J

Jeremy said...

I honestly lol'd at these two:

"President Hsu for some reason unknown to me has Church-approved kareoke cds. How cool is that? I want that to be my next calling in the church."

"Every girl needs an older brother to buy saucy shoes for them. It is so much better than a boyfriend because you won't break up and then have this memory of them haunting your shoes."

Please tell Holly that I expect to see her at Church because I'm aching for a Sunday School buddy to share poetry and analogies with.

StrykerLOVE said...

what? about that first quote! hahaha on all of them. I didn't know the church has approved karaoke music. what a great sacrament that would be!!! we should do that for a talent at the family reunion!

Rachel said...

Can't wait to see you guys in June!!!!

Layton Clan said...

What a good sister. She's a hilarious sister. I would have loved to be her companion. Tipper - I miss you.

COME TO ME TEJAS.

Westie

Tian Tian said...

While reading through these quotes I kept thinking, "I don't remember saying any of this. I'm so funny!" Ahh, all my mission-humility is gone.

Unknown said...

Oh, I had a small urge to move back to Provo just so I could live with her again.
I am so angry that our families will never be sealed together in some way! Unless Al comes back too handsome and spiritual for Twink to resist... hmmmm...